EnglishMagyar

History of the Hungarian Cultural Centre

In 1948, invited by Most Reverend John Th. Kidd to work in the Diocese of London, Rev. Marton Gaspar became the parish priest on September 1st. At that time the earnest wish of the parishioners was to build a parish hall for the cultural and recreational life of the parish. The wish soon became a reality.

The Mindszenty Hall, the cultural, social and recreational centre of the St.Anthony’s parish was open on Mother’s Day of 1951 and has been dedicated after the blessed name of Cardinal Joseph Mindszenty, martyr of human freedom and the Holy Church on October 8th 1951 by His Eminence John C. Cody, bishop of London.

On December 1st, 1988, Mindszenty Hall became a provincially chartered Centre under the auspices of the Hungarian Christian Women’s League of Windsor.

Members of the Hungarian community-at-large purchased the facility from the Diocese of London following crucial discussions regarding the objectives of the facility and the past management of monies raised by officers and members of Mindszenty Hall. The facility then has been renamed to Hungarian Cultural Centre – Mindszenty Hall.

September 13th, 2003, dedication ceremonies and celebration of the official opening of the renovated Hungarian Cultural Centre – Mindszenty Hall.